|By AppNeta Blog||
|February 11, 2017 02:00 PM EST||
Don't Be Blinded by the Cloud Migration Light
By Joe Michalowski
It wasn't too long ago that cloud computing had more detractors than supporters. Companies (especially in the enterprise world) just weren't ready to relinquish control of applications and business processes.
And yet, the light of cloud benefits has slowly drawn the business world in as SaaS apps and cloud infrastructure become entrenched in IT.
The benefits of cloud migration are great, but you have to be ready for the challenges that come along as well. Don't be blinded by the cloud migration light.
Cloud Computing Benefits Continue to Drive Adoption
As digital transformation takes hold across all industries, companies can't afford to ignore the benefits of cloud migration. And according to a recent InteropITX/InformationWeek survey, only 1% of companies will make the mistake of ignoring the cloud in the next two years.
But 99% adoption goes deeper than simply moving one process or app to the cloud. The 2016 IDG Enterprise Cloud Computing Survey found that the next 18 months will see cloud infrastructures begin to dominate IT departments. In fact, the typical IT department will host just 40% of their apps and platforms on premises, with a mixture of public and private clouds making up the majority of IT infrastructure.
Simply put, the benefits of cloud migration now outweigh the concerns of moving critical processes and applications off site. With the cost savings and flexibility of a pay-as-you-go model, the agility of on-demand scaling, the ability to free up valuable IT resources by automating app updates, and more, the allure of cloud migration shouldn't be denied.
Despite the simplicity that cloud infrastructure can bring to IT infrastructures, it's important to remain realistic-underneath it all, the cloud is truly complex. Migrating isn't a one-step process. Maybe that's why a good number of businesses today aren't happy with their cloud implementation-nearly half of survey respondents say they only get some of the expected benefits. That doesn't mean cloud is actually a terrible idea, but that it's not as straightforward as imagined.
Remember: You're Still on the Hook for Cloud Performance Problems
It might be nice to think for a moment about shipping applications and complex processes into the cloud and then spending your time innovating and working on larger-scale IT projects. However, you have to resist being blinded by the light and remember that as end users experience performance problems with SaaS apps and other platforms, they'll be coming to you for help.
Even if the cloud seems simple, your troubleshooting will look just like it does for on-premises apps-but worse because you're not working on premises. If ghost issues seemed challenging on premises, the cloud will certainly make them more difficult to resolve.
Unfortunately, employees won't have empathy for your cloud performance troubleshooting challenges. If you want to truly enjoy the benefits of your cloud migration, you have to prepare for end-user experience monitoring ahead of time.
As pressure to become more agile weighs heavier on IT shoulders, the cloud will continue to move from option to necessity. Everyone can agree on the benefits of cloud adoption, but we have to remain realistic about the challenges.
If you're ready to face cloud migration challenges head on, download our free guide, 3 Challenges of Moving to a Cloud-Based Infrastructure, to learn more about what you'll be dealing with (and how to prepare).
You may also like...
- Go Cloud or Go Home by Christine Cignoli December 16, 2016
- How to Build a Business Case for SaaS by Christine Cignoli November 9, 2016
- Weekly Packet: R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Find Out What It Means to IT by Christine Cignoli November 4, 2016
- Technology of the Year for 2016 | @CloudExpo #IoT #AI #FinTech #Blockchain
- [slides] @Dyn's Cloud #APM and #NPM at @CloudExpo | #AI #ML #Monitoring
- Technology Drivers Disrupting the MSP Market | @CloudExpo #Cloud #ITaaS #Azure
- Powerful Marketing Automation | @CloudExpo #AI #ML #DL #MachineLearning
- Five Tips to Encourage Collaboration | @DevOpsSummit #BI #BPM #DevOps
- The Pitfalls of Cloud-Washed VDI | @CloudExpo #VDI #Cloud #Microservices
- Facebook vs. Data Portability | @CloudExpo #Cloud #BigData #Storage
- Cloud IT and Regulatory Compliance in Healthcare Industry
- Facebook vs. Data Portability: Who Owns an Individual’s Data? Supreme Court asked to Decide
- The Price of Communication: Forrester Consulting Report
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- i-Technology Predictions for 2007: Where's It All Headed?
- AJAX Sponsor Webcasts Are Now Available at AJAXWorld Website
- i-Technology 2008 Predictions: Where's RIAs, AJAX, SOA and Virtualization Headed in 2008?
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Thinking Outside the VC Box
- Application Virtualization: Instant Migration to Vista, Fast Delivery, Secure Access, Side-by-Side Deployments
- i-Technology Blog: Death-Knell For "Rich Media? Hardly!
- Java or .NET? XML Rich-Client AJAX Technology Brings Zero-Install Rich Client To Java
- Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers Now Open